I have found a delicious way to improve the flavor and texture of hamburgers by mixing pureed turnip greens to them. Fresh turnip greens are best — read Grow Beautiful Turnip Greens to learn how to grow them.
|1 lb||ground beef or chuck|
|1 cup||cracker or bread crumbs|
|1||small bunch turnip greens|
|pinch||pepper (to taste)|
|1 tbsp||worcestershire sauce|
|1/4 lb||sharp cheddar cheese|
Puree the turnip greens and onion and use one cup of the mixture.
- Mix the puree, salt, pepper, crackers, worcestershire sauce, and meat together. Form patties.
- Cook the turnip green burgers at medium heat in olive oil in a covered pan.
- When burgers are done, lay cheese slices on the turnip burgers, and cover. Turn heat down to low.
- Burgers are done when the cheese is melted.
Alternatively, if you want to freeze the patties:
- Lay wax paper on a plate. Form patties and set them on the wax paper and cover them with more wax paper.
- When the patties are frozen, wrap them in plastic film.